Short list of questions publishers want answered that I believe could be answered with the right data:
- Who are my best writers?
- What topics are my audience most engaged in?
- Which types of pieces do best over time?
- What type of stories should I have my writers work on?
- When is the best time to publish?
- What’s the best length for a piece?
- Does including rich media help with engagement?
- Do my writers actually need to include links? How many?
What am I missing?
Obviously most publishers know most of these by heart, it’s key to running a successful business. What’s more interesting is to use this type of data as a baseline for experimentation.
It’s important to remember the difference between creation and optimization, and how data can be used for each.